Tree Posture, Dhruwasana, Dhruva Asana, Dhruv Asan, Vrksasana, Vriksha Asana, Vriksh Asana, Vriks Pose
In this asana stand straight with feet placed together. Bend the right knee and put the right foot on the left groin with the sole facing upward. Bring the hands near the chest and join the palms.
How to reach the stretch
- While standing, bend the right knee shifting all the weight into the left leg.
- Turn the right wall resting the heel against the left leg.
- Look down at the floor and stare at one point.
- Slowly slide the right foot up the left leg, only as high up as you can maintain your balance.
- When you are balanced here, slowly bring the palms together, prayer position in front of the heart.
- Keep staring at your focal point on the floor. Keep the left leg strong pressing the foot into the floor.
- Keep the right knee bent 90 degrees towards the side wall.
- The shoulders are down and back and the chest is pressing forward. Breathe and hold for 4-8 breaths.
How to release the stretch
- Exhale, release your arms back down through Angli Mudra (Joining palms of the hands together) then release the right foot.
- Repeat on other side.
- Recent or chronic knee or hip injury.
- Those having complaint of reeling sensation should not practice it.