Eagle Posture, Standing Spinal Twist pose, Garud Asan, Garuda Asana, Samkatasana, Contracted Pose, Dangerous Posture, Sankata or Samkata Asana, Sankat or Samkat Asan, Sankatasana
For Garudasana you need strength, flexibility, and endurance, but also unwavering concentration that actually calms the fluctuations (vrtti) of consciousness. This is true of all the yoga poses, but it’s a bit more obvious in pretzel-like Eagle.
How to reach the stretch
- Start from Utkatasana and shift your weight onto the right leg.
- Bring the left leg up and cross the left thigh over the right.
- Hook the left foot around the right calf.
- Bring the arms out in front.
- Cross the right arm over the left and bring the palms to touch.
- Lift the elbows while keeping the shoulders sliding down the back.
- Hold the position for some time and repeat.
How to release the stretch
- Strengthens and stretches the ankles and calves.
- Stretches the thighs, hips, shoulders, and upper back.
- Improves concentration.
- Improves sense of balance.