Nadi-Sodhna, Nadi shodhan, Nadi Purifying
This is one of the fundamental types of Pranayam. However, while describing the other eight types of Kumbhakas. But this has been described independently under a Nadi shuddhi procedure known as ” Samanu “. It is necessary to have Nadi Shuddhi before performing Pranayam.
How to do
- Place the right hand in Vishnu Mudra (forefinger and middle finger bent towards the palm; thumb, ring, and pinkie in the air).
- To do one round: close off right nostril with the thumb and inhale into the left nostril; close left nostril with ring and pinkie fingers, open the right nostril and exhale through the right, then inhale into the right nostril; close the right nostril, open the left, and exhale through the left nostril.
- Continue, doing 5-20 rounds.
- The effect of the strain and pressure caused by the asanas reaches the internal organs only after considerable practice. However, pranayam affects the internal organs directly.
- To face the effects, the internal organs should have the required capability. This capability is generated through the right practice of asanas. Hence, it is advisable to practice pranayam only after a proper study of asanas for a considerable time period.