Nauli, Churning of the Abdomen, Abdominal Churning
With shoulders bent forward one should rotate the abdomen right and left with the speed of a fast rotating whirl pool. This is called Nauli by accomplished yogis. Nauli is practiced only after the practice of Uddiyan-Bandh.
How to do
- Stand erect at your place.
- Maintain 15″ to 18″ distance between legs and lean forward, place hands on respective knees or thighs. Exhale completely and retain the breath outside.
- Expand your chest and raise your diaphragm so that abdomen is drawn in and there becomes a cavity in abdomen. MiddleNow try to isolate the central abdominal muscle. This cannot be achieved during first effort. But effort should continue. Blow out your abdomen as in Agnisara but effort should be made that central part should come out. This is called Madhyama (middle) Nauli. After maintaining it according to your limitation, return to the original position and then practice it again.Left After attaining Middle Nauli, when we press more on left knee with left hand and lessen the pressure on right knee of right hand then the Middle Nauli shifts to left side and this is known as (Vama) left nauli.Right Similarly when we lessen the pressure of the left hand on left knee then these accumulated muscles (of middle nauli) shifts to right side and this is called right nauli.
- Nauli massages, invigorates, and tones the abdomen and intestines, aiding both digestion and elimination.
- It massages all the organs in the abdomen.
- Nauli and uddiyana bandha especially affect the manipura and swadhistana chakras . Always do nauli with mulabandha and after uddiyana bandh.
- Traditional yoga therapy considers nauli to generate heat in the body, stimulating digestive fire (Agni), helping to remove toxins, increasing digestive fire.
- It stimulates the immune system, removes lethargy and aids in the remediation of diabetes.
- Never strain or hold the breath so that you must gasp for breath. There should never be any pain.
- Nauli is achieved automatically by practice. Teacher only can make you understand. Do not expect it soon.
- If you can perform Uddiyana nicely and maintain it, the achievement of Nauli will also be equally easy.
- Nauli is the pre-requisite for some cleansing processes like Basti and others hence learn to practice it efficiently.
- Never practice it after meal. It should always be practiced on empty stomach.