Shoulder Stand, Viprita Karni Asan/ Mudra, Viprit Karani Mudra, Saravanga/ Sarvanga Asana, Sarvang Asan
This mysterious Asana which gives wonderful benefits. In this Asana the whole weight of the body is thrown on the shoulders. You really stand on the shoulders with the help and support of the elbows. Concentrate on the Thyroid gland which lies on the front lower part of the neck. Retain the breath as long as you can do with comfort, and slowly exhale through the nose.
How to reach the stretch
- Lie on the back quite flat. Slowly raise the legs.
- Lift the trunk, hips, and legs quite vertically.
- Support the back with the two hands, one on either side.
- Rest the elbows on the ground. Press the chin against the chest (Jalandhara Bandha).
- Allow the back-shoulder portion and neck to touch the ground closely.
- Do not allow the body to shake or move to and fro. Keep the legs straight.
How to release the stretch
- It brightens the psychic faculties and awakens Kundalini Sakti, removes all sorts of diseases of intestine and stomach, and augments the mental power.
- It supplies a large quantity of blood to the roots of spinal nerves.
- It is this Asana which centralises the blood in the spinal column and nourishes it beautifully.
- Pregnancy: If you are experienced with this pose, you can continue to practice it late into pregnancy. However, don’t take up the practice of Sarvangasana after you become pregnant.
- Not for the persons who have the problem of diarrhea, headache, high blood pressure, menstruation, neck injury.