The Moon Pose, Hare Posture, Shashanka-Asana, Shashank-Asan, Sasankasana, Sasank
‘Shashanka’ in Sanskrit means the moon, that’s why it is called moon pose also.
How to reach the stretch
- Sit with legs folded backwards, heels apart, knees and toes together (sit in vajrasana).
- Adjust your hips between the heels (Vajrasana). Slowly raise your arms over the head.
- While exhaling, slowly bend forward and stretch your palms on the floor with abdomen pressing against the thighs.
- Then bring your face downwards and touch the floor with the forehead without raising the buttocks. Inhaling slowly, return to an upright position, and then reverse the process.
How to release the stretch
- This asana stretches the rectus muscle of the abdomen and helps in improving the digestion.
- It also relieves constipation and benefits people with sciatica and hypertension.
- Do not release the ankles from their position, without raising the back.
- Not for the people who are suffering from pain in the hip joint.