Camel Pose, Ustrasana, Unt or Unth Posture, Ustra or Ushtra Asana
The word “ushtra” refers to “Camel”. In this asana, the body resembles the neck of a camel, that’s why it is called ‘Ushtrasana’.
How to reach the stretch
- Sit with legs stretched, heels together, palms pressing on the ground by the side of buttocks, to keep the body at right angles to the legs with an erect spine.
- Bend right leg backwards.
- Bend the left leg to come to Vajrasana.
- Raise up making the trunk vertical.
- Inhale and bend the body backwards and bring the hands on the heels.
How to release the stretch
- This asana stretches the upper and lower thigh and knees.
- The focus point is the spine.
- It limbers the entire spine and pelvis. It will open the chest allowing for deeper breathing.