Extended Frog Pose, Stretched Frog Posture, Utatana-Manduka-Asana, Utan or Uttan-Manduk-Asan
“Manduka” in Sanskrit means frog. The body in Uttana-Mandukasana resembles an erect frog that’s why it is called ‘uttana-mandukasana’.
How to reach the stretch
- Sit in Vajrasana and keep your knees wide. Let the great toes touch each other and keep the body straight.
- Then, cross both arms behind the head and place the hands on the upper part of the opposite shoulder blades.
- The chin should touch the chest wall like the Jalandhara bandha.
- The bandhas of Jalandhara, Uddiyana and Moola are also performed in this asana.
How to release the stretch
- It improves the lungpower, circulation in the walls of the chest and abdomen and tone of the abdominal and shoulder muscles.
- It also improves sciatica in some people.