Thunderbolt Posture, Adamantine Pose, Vajra Asana, Vajr Asan
Like Padmasana, this is also the Asana for meditation. One can sit comfortably for a prolonged period in this Asana. This is one asana which can be done immediately after consuming food. Sit in Vajrasana and do right nostril breathing. This relieves heaviness in stomach and improves digestion. This is a very good pose for people suffering from sciatica and sacral infections.
How to reach the stretch
- Sit with legs extended together, hands by the side of the body, palm resting on the ground, fingers of the hands together pointing forward.
- Fold the right leg at the knee and place the foot under the right buttock. Sole will remain inside.
- Similarly folding the left foot, place it under the left buttock.
- Hands resting on the respective thighs.
- Sit erect, gaze in front and then close the eyes.
How to release the stretch
- While returning to the original position, bend little towards right side take out your left leg and extend it.
- Similarly extend your right leg and return to the original position.
- Relaxes your kneecaps, knees, ankles and feet, improves digestion and reduces gas.
- Relieves sciatica pain. ‘Vajrasana’, if done for 10 minutes after a full meal relieves heaviness in stomach due to overeating.
- While sitting on the bent feet, the heels should remain out and toes inside. Soles upward.
- Do not sit on the heels.